Habemus Papum and how to love the world

I know this is a little late to mention but did anyone else really feel emotional about the finding of the new Pope Francis this time?

Strangely enough, to me at least, when Pope Benedict gave his final blessing and left and we didn't have a pope to pray for during mass, I felt a sense of orphaned-ness (if that's a word). When I heard the news that the white smoke had risen, my heart literally soared and when I heard about the new Holy Father, I must say I felt proud and so joyful! I felt like I had found my father!

I know perhaps its a bit childish, but then again, I am glad about my childishness because I know that is what Jesus asked of us anyway! Perhaps this is how we need to view those in our church, our priests, our nuns, our missionaries, our church community- each is our own father, brother, mother, sister, child etc. Like family, they have faults and weaknesses but also like family, they will always be there for us even if everyone else abandons us. Thinking of them in this way, really helps me love them better, despite any faults etc because I love my family despite their faults. For instance, if I argue with my brother and I leave the house in anger and down the road, someone on  the street says something bad about him, I will stand up for him and have his back because I love him and I cannot bear the thought of someone talking ill of him. I can't help it, even if I am angry at him, I still love him. The same goes for my parents, grandparents and all extended family.

Sometimes I think this is the closest we can get to perfect love as humans. This is the closest love I can imagine that truly loves beyond hurt and everything else. In spite of everything your family may have done to you, do you not still miss them, think about the good times, think about them and what they may be doing? Doesn't your blood just boil when you hear someone talk ill about them even if you are currently angry or away from them? That is in a sense almost perfect love isn't it? (the most perfect being God's love of course...the guy is love incarnate so it makes sense that He'd do it best).

If this is the closest we can get to perfect love and we are after all called to love the world as best we can, then this love may be the best way to do so. Even if you see a stranger on the street, we can treat them lovingly, like you would want your mother, grandmother or sibling to be treated if they were in the stranger's spot. When you meet an impatient waitress, imagine your sister who may have stayed up all night with the kids and has no patience left for an indecisive customer and love her accordingly. When a guy bumps into you, knocks your books over and keeps walking, imagine your brother who may do it because he thought it was funny, and pick those books up.

I feel in this way, I am still able to retain love for people despite their rude beahvior or any other negative. Of course I am a human being and I fail more often than I can keep track of but I always want to find a way to love people in my life, especially strangers, and I pray for the grace to do this because I believe this is our greatest call as Christians and love is what everyone in this world yearns for in one way or another, whether it be through relationships, appreciation, sympathy etc. They all form the spectrum of love and we can all use a little bit of it everyday.

PS: Did you know that the word 'pope' is just a derivation of 'papa' meaning 'father'? 'Habemus Papum' therefore means, 'We have a Father'! We have a father.

Comments

Some other stuff you may like peeking at: